If you have misaligned teeth, there are many reasons that you may have chosen not to have them corrected when you were younger. It may have been financially prohibitive at the time, or you might not have wanted to get braces because of the way they look. Many of us look back and think: I should have had braces as a teen when so many of my peers did! Later in life, wires and brackets are still too much to ask to correct mild to moderate crooked teeth for many of us. Technology has finally offered the way to a straight smile without the aesthetic of metal wires and brackets with Invisalign® therapy.
Say Goodbye to Brackets and Wires
Invisalign® is the answer to so many adult malocclusion concerns! Crooked teeth can now be corrected without any of the drawbacks of conventional braces. Invisalign® is the first orthodontic system that corrects your teeth alignment with the help of custom-made clear plastic aligners.
How Does it Work?
Invisalign® uses the same principle as conventional braces to correct your tooth placement. Rather than rely on pressure to be exerted on your teeth with the use of brackets and wires, pressure is gently but consistently applied using small adjustments to the fit of your aligners. With this system, you avoid many of the common concerns associated with metal braces like:
• Appearance - Invisalign® aligners are transparent against your teeth, making them almost invisible. Even when turned to the side, the aligners have such a thin profile that they often go unnoticed.
• Adjustment Pain - Invisalign® relies on small adjustments to your fit every 2 weeks when you receive a new pair. This way, your adjustments are less aggressive than traditional adjustments are, allowing you to straighten your teeth without the discomfort that accompanies typical orthodontic adjustments.
• Cuts, Scrapes and Friction - Your Invisalign® aligners are 100% metal free and custom fit to ensure that there are no opportunities for the aligners to rub or scratch your tissues. You won’t be carrying dental wax around to try to avoid the constant pain of metal scratching at your lips, cheeks and tongue.
• Dietary Restrictions – Your aligners are fully removable for meals, allowing you to continue to enjoy all the foods that you love without worrying about popping off a bracket or getting kernels stuck around the mechanism.
• Staining – Your teeth will not be subject to patterned staining with Invisalign®. Conventional braces often cause patterned staining where brackets that were adhered to the teeth are finally removed. Since you can remove your Invisalign® aligners to eat, the entire surface area of your teeth will be consistently exposed to the food you eat for even colouration.
About FDH Rabbit Dental
Learn more about FDH Rabbit Hill Dental and our dedicated team here! All services performed by a general dentist.
Give Us A Call
We Look Forward To Hearing From You. Give Us A Call With Any Questions Or To Book An Appointment.
How Do I Get Started?
If you want to know if Invisalign® is right for you, start by booking a consultation with your dentist. Invisalign® is the first system to allow you and your dentist to see a 3D representation of your alignment process on a digital screen. Your dentist will begin by ensuring that your teeth meet the mild to moderate malocclusion standard required for Invisalign®, since severe cases may still require conventional braces to effectively correct.
Once your dentist has determined that you meet the minimum requirements, he or she will begin the process of taking a 3D digital impression of your teeth – this takes only a few minutes. Once your 3D image is loaded, your dentist will be able to demonstrate what potential your teeth could reach using the Invisalign® system, right before your eyes! If you are happy with the potential result, you don’t need any sticky uncomfortable impressions – the 3D impression is all you need.
Your digital images will be sent to a certified Invisalign® lab, where between 20 and 30 aligners will be made. These aligners will be worn in order, each for 2 weeks at a time before another aligner arrives.
Keeping Your Teeth Healthy
Invisalign® requires clean teeth before it can be safely inserted, since plaque bacteria can become trapped under the aligners and lead to decay. Aligners must be worn a minimum of 22 hours every day to guarantee results. While it is safe to eat any of your favourite foods when your aligners have been removed, once inserted the aligners should not be used to eat. Acidic beverages such as those that are carbonated should not be consumed with aligners in place. Hot liquids such as teas should not be consumed with aligners in place since the heat will distort the precise fit required for optimal results.
Invisalign® wearers often remark that their oral health improves as a result of following the necessary guidelines for success with Invisalign®.
If you have questions about these or other services offered by our general dentists, contact our clinic today.